to Georgia Heart's Patient Info page!
On this page you'll find access to important forms that you'll need to print out and fill out prior to your first appointment with our office. You'll also find important information regarding preparing for certain procedures, such as Cardiac Catheterization, and what to expect afterward.
Patient Information Form
Please note: You must have Adobe Acrobat® reader to view the Patient Information Form. If you do not already have the Adobe Acrobat® plugin installed, you can download it for free.
Catheterization Patient Instructions:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before and morning of the cardiac cath.
- If you are taking Coumadin, stop two days prior to the scheduled procedure. Do NOT take Coumadin the day of your procedure.
- Please give 24 hours notice if you are unable to keep the appointment.
- If you are diabetic, do NOT take your insulin or any other diabetic drug the day of your procedure.
- You may take your other scheduled medicines with a sip of water. Please bring ALL medicines you are taking with you to the hospital.
- The procedure will take approximately 1-1 ½ hours once you are taken into the cath lab.
- Results of the cath will be available immediately after the procedure.
- Bed rest will be required for 4 hours after the procedure.
- If further intervention is not required, you will be able to go home 4-6 hours after the procedure.
- You MUST have a ride home as you will NOT be able to drive.
Instructions After Cardiac Catheterization:
- Continue your medications as before, unless changed by your doctor.
- If your cath site begins to bleed:
- Lie Down
- Have someone apply firm pressure one inch above the site
- Call your doctor immediately
- Call your doctor for:
- Any bleeding
- Bleeding or swelling from your cath site.
- Excess pain from your cath site
- Any dizziness or fainting
- Any racing of your heart
- No driving for 24 hours.
- No lifting over ten pounds for 24 hours.
- No strenuous physical activity for 24 hours.
- You may return to work in 24 hours unless otherwise instructed.
- Drink plenty of fluids for 24 hours (avoiding alcohol) unless otherwise instructed.
- Call (770) 918-0074 or (770) 786-6201 with any questions.